Top 8 reasons AI is a game changer for freelancers
Becoming a freelancer can be rewarding, but it takes a lot of hard work and dedication. Clients expect you to be able to flick on a switch and deal with whatever they need help with on any given day. In addition to dealing with demanding clients, you are responsible for all aspects of your business, including marketing, finance, and business admin. With new tools like ChatGPT, Copy.ai and Thriday, freelancers can automate many repetitive tasks that distract you from your day. So, whether you're looking to write a new blog post or want a spark of inspiration, we'll show you how artificial intelligence (AI) can be a game changer for your freelancing business.
Freelancing is an increasingly popular career choice for many in the creative, IT or professional services industries. Freelancing can lead to many exciting career opportunities, and getting started is relatively easy. For most, freelancing is a natural extension of the skills they build over time in a particular domain. If you spend years becoming an SEO guru at a digital agency, you'll likely get a call from someone in your network to undertake contracting work. Good SEO skills are in demand, and people will be happy to pay top dollar for your expertise.
When it comes to freelancing, many young professionals pursue this career path as it offers the freedom and flexibility to work from anywhere they want. As a 'digital nomad', you can choose your clients, set your schedule, and work from anywhere you please. For some, freelancing allows them to challenge themselves and develop new skills constantly. For others, freelancing can offer a work-life balance that may not be possible in a traditional job setting.
One important thing to recognise as a freelancer is that you are always expected to be 'on' and ready to deliver high-quality work. To help you here are a few tips to help you do an excellent job at all times:
- Stay organised: Keep track of your schedule, deadlines, and projects to ensure that you consistently deliver work on time. Consider using a project management tool or software to help you stay organised. Nothing frustrates clients more than getting work delivered late.
- Maintain good communication with clients: Respond to inquiries promptly, provide regular updates on your progress, and be transparent about any challenges or delays you encounter. It helps to tailor your communications to your customer's personal style and preference.
- Manage your time effectively: Prioritise your tasks, avoid distractions, and set aside dedicated blocks of time for each project. If you struggle with procrastination, there are techniques you can implement to always manage your diary carefully.
To assist with keeping on top of work, many freelancers are starting to use AI tools such as ChatGPT. Several cutting-edge tools have entered the market, promising to change how freelancers work forever. Here is the top 8 reasons AI will revolutionise your career as a freelancer:
- Increased Efficiency: Time-poor business owners use tools such as Thriday to automate repetitive and time-consuming financial admin tasks. Many business owners waste hours paying bills, reconciling expenses and lodging BAS, which can now be automated. This allows freelancers to focus on more critical work and increase their efficiency.
- Improved Accuracy: Copywriters and marketers use tools like Grammarly to avoid mistakes, correct spelling errors, and provide more accurate information to their clients. Grammarly automatically identifies issues with copy, helping freelancers improve the quality of their work.
- 24/7 Availability: AI tools can operate 24/7, meaning freelancers can run programs through the night. Operating around the clock can come in handy when you have a tight deadline and need to finish something off.
- Enhanced Customer Support: Conversational AI bots like the Microsoft Azure Bot Service can help freelancers respond to customer inquiries and support requests more quickly and effectively, improving customer satisfaction.
- Improved Productivity: Email clients like Superhuman use AI to help freelancers prioritise their emails, assign tasks, manage schedules, and improve their overall productivity. With most people spending at least 2 hours a day responding to emails, this can be a huge timesaver.
- Up-to-date Information: ChatGPT is trained on a large dataset of current information so freelancers can access the latest data and insights in their field. This helps freelancers stay ahead of the curve.
- Cost Effective: Jasper.ai is a cost-effective solution for freelancers to generate customer images. Instead of having to hire photographers or graphic designers, new AI tools can create images from a basic description.
- Idea Generation: AI tools like Copy.ai can help you quickly define a blog or article outline and are great for working through writer's block. AI could be your saving grace if you struggle to start a new task.
Artificial Intelligence FAQs
What is AI?
Artificial Intelligence (AI) refers to the development of intelligent machines that can think, reason, and perform tasks that typically require human intelligence, such as learning, problem-solving, and decision-making.
What are some examples of AI applications?
Some examples of AI applications include virtual assistants, self-driving cars, fraud detection systems, speech recognition software, and image and video recognition systems.
How does AI work?
AI systems use algorithms and statistical models to analyse data and recognise patterns. They can learn and improve by adjusting their algorithms based on new data.
What are the benefits of AI?
AI can help businesses automate repetitive tasks, improve decision-making, and increase efficiency. It can also help in fields such as healthcare, where it can assist doctors in making diagnoses and developing treatment plans.
Are there any concerns about AI?
There are concerns about the potential impact of AI on employment, privacy, and security. There are also concerns about the potential for AI to be biased or to perpetuate existing societal inequalities.
How is AI regulated?
AI is currently not subject to specific regulation, although existing rules and standards apply to some AI applications, such as those related to privacy and data protection. Governments and international organisations are working to develop frameworks for the ethical development and use of AI.
How is AI developed?
AI is developed by data scientists, software developers, and engineers. The development process typically involves training and testing AI models using large datasets and refining algorithms based on performance feedback.
Artificial intelligence is here to stay and will only become a much bigger part of how freelancers work. Whilst some people may fear losing their job to a bot, AI will benefit freelancers in many ways. From automating routine tasks and improving efficiency to providing access to up-to-date information and enhancing customer engagement, AI can help freelancers take their work to the next level. By actively utilising AI tools like ChatGPT, freelancers can save time and increase their productivity, improve the quality of their work, and stay ahead of the competition. Whether you are just starting as a freelancer or are looking to grow your existing business, AI is an asset that should not be overlooked.